Meneely Bell Company
Documenting Change: Industry and Business in Troy and Rensselaer County, NY
Historical Note: The Meneely Bell Company of Troy was established in 1870 by Clinton H. Meneely and George H. Kimberly as Meneely and Kimberly. It was reorganized in 1880 as the Clinton H. Meneely Company and was later reorganized as the Meneely Bell Company. It should not be confused with the older Meneely and Company established in 1826 by Andrew Meneely in Watervliet, NY.
Note: Records of Meneely Bell Company can be found at the Hudson-Mohawk Gateway and at the New York State Library. These collections are described separately.
A. – Records at Hudson-Mohawk Gateway
Extent: ca. 3 cu. ft.
Scope and Content: The bulk of the collection consists of 36 volumes of ledger covering the years 1871 to 1951. Also included are stock certificates, a scrapbook, catalogs, clippings, and some technical notes on belltones and correspondence with Professor Arthur T. Jones of the Physics Department at Smith College.
Location: Hudson-Mohawk Industrial Gateway, Foot of Polk St., Troy, NY 12180
B. – Records at NYSL
Account Books, 1870-1929.
Extent: 34 vols.
Scope and Content: Journals, cash books, and ledgers recording information on business transactions and items purchased and sold.
Location: Manuscripts & Special Collections, New York State Library, Cultural Education Center, Albany, NY 12230.